Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Summer 2009 Sculptures

This is some of my work from a figure sculpting course I took recently.



The three rough sculptures you see are gestural studies done in wax, and took only 2.5-ish hours each to complete. I cast one in bronze plus one other which I then gave a patina, not pictured here. I might not get around to taking a picture of that one honestly, unless someone asks me to.



This dirty-looking jade-ish sculpture was originally clay but then cast in green-dyed resin. I aged it to make it look like it had been standing in a garden for a long time. That was a decision I made when the legs broke. I drilled holes and fit metal rods into each the thighs to keep it together, but I kept the cracks as visible as possible for the aged effect. The plinth is surrounded in a metal doodad I found at DI which is attached with copper wire to another metal doodad from DI that I cut off of something else. I got the pot at, yes, DI. The idea is, the statue will be covered in ivy that grows out of the pot.



The third sculpture here is one made entirely from an old computer (DI again - $5). No glue was used, and except for the wires from the power supply, I didn't break anything. I liked making this one. If I do something like this again, I hope to make it a working, actually functional computer (that has been sculpted obviously).

No comments:

Post a Comment